Gratitude Appy Hour

The video in this post is a sample project I made in preparation for a training I’m planning called Gratitude Appy Hour which will introduce staff to two great, free iPad apps as well as the concept of app “smashing,” or using two apps together for one project. The staff have been invited to download both Haiku Deck and 30 Hands, free in the App Store. Since we are in the Thanksgiving season, I also asked them to jot down ideas of 3 – 5 things for which they are grateful.

We will start the the project by using Haiku Deck to find images to represent what they are thankful for. The Creative Commons search feature built into Haiku Deck is great to teach about copyright. We will also add words to the slides in Haiku Deck to explain the importance of the image they chose. Taking screenshots of each slide as the presentation is playing will be the next step in this project. Once the images with words are saved as photos in the camera roll, they can be imported onto 30 Hands which has the additional features of being able to add audio and even to save to the camera roll as a video file. So for each slide, the participants will record a short description of why they are thankful for the item on the slide.

We plan to wrap up the training with a brainstorming session about how the project can be adapted for the classroom. Here is my sample project video: