BBQ Brisket: A Quick Recipe to Help you Find Time for Tech

Here is a favorite go-to recipe that I use when I’m super busy.  Maybe I know my calendar for the day (or week) is full.  Or maybe I really need some down-time to sit and read because I’ve been so busy.  Maybe I just had some professional learning and I really need “play time” to experiment with a new idea.  If it was just me at home, I’d probably just cut an apple and dip the slices in peanut butter and call that supper.  But for some reason, other people think we need to eat real meals!!  So this is a quick go-to recipe that I can add a salad or some type of hot potato and vegie to and satisfy those other people.  It is easy to get ready early in the morning or at night.  You can spread out the cooking/serving over two days.  In fact, it’s better that way!

BBQ Brisket

2-4 lbs. beef brisket
Liquid smoke
Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder (use what you have and like)

Rub the brisket surface with liquid smoke to wet, then sprinkle generously on the seasonings you like. Salt alone is enough. Wrap the meat tightly in foil and bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour per pound of your brisket. Remove the meat from the oven and let cool.

At this point, I put the meat in the refrigerator over night or even for a couple of days. When I know I need the quick meal, I pull it out, slice it across the grain for added tenderness and put it in a 9×13 pan. I cover it with whatever bottle of BBQ sauce was on sale most recently at our grocery store, cover with foil and bake for about another hour at 300 degrees. You can also put the slices and BBQ sauce in a crock pot to simmer while you’re at work. Be sure to use the low setting.

I’ve got a brisket in the oven for the “first round cook” right now, and I’ll be sure to snap a photo and add to this post when it is done!!